Fuerteventura Forum

Sunny Fuerteventura's Friendly Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 am 

Hey everyone
Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of moving to Fuerteventura. In short, we are fed up of living in UK - paying over the odds for everything, being over taxed, over worked and underpaid! And I haven't even got to the weather yet!

Just after some advice. I currently work for HMRC, I would be looking to similar work, maybe in the customs department in the airport or something like that. My boyfriend is a plasterer but is experienced in most trades to do with construction.

Would we be likely to find work easily? I mention the above jobs we do now, but willing to do anything really (within reason!).

We would be looking to rent somewhere and ideally we would like to move to Caleta, but again wouldn't be fussy.

Any advice would be gratefully received!!
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:50 pm 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Hello, welcome to the forum

Fuerteventura is a good place to live BUT it´s not easy to make a living here. Employment opportunities are very limited; pay rates are low and the bills still have to be paid!

Your chances of getting work in the customs dept at the airport would be minimal, but your boyfriend might get some work in the building trade if he got the right contacts. Most jobs for English people here are in catering and hospitality.

The unemployment rate in the Canary Islands is 28%, so getting work is difficult, even for Spanish speakers.

Finding rented accomodation is not difficult, but it might take a long time to find work; so you´d need at least enough money to last 6 months out here. In that time you might find a job.

Make sur you think things through before making a decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

I´d have to agree with that, but I think it might be wise to add a couple of months on to the six.

Las Palmas, which Fuerteventura is part of, has been hit much worse in terms of job losses than Tenerife for some reason, possibly as there was mor of a property building boom here.

END 2 FGM