Fuerteventura Forum

Sunny Fuerteventura's Friendly Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2011 No Smoking Laws
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

I had a wander round this morning to see what effect the new law was having. The law only passed the final stage of being published a couple of days ago, so no one has been given any diresct information about what would happen.

It being Sunday, the Happy Burger was closed as that is their day off, and another bar close by was keeping to the same policy it has had of no smoking inside, but the situation there is debatable, so it will have to be seen what the officials say.

There is a generally held view that the law won't be enforced as sometimes things are a bit lax here, but the Guardia were in the King's Arms looking for people smoking around midday.

Some bars had removed their ashtrays, as had the King's Arms, but people were smoking in others, especially where the side "walls" are made of material. The way the law is worded in Spanish these hangings are referred to in the same way as walls, so my guess is that these bars are in for a shock fairly soon.

The bars in Lower Nuevo Horizonte had all been told about the King's Arms visit and there was no one smoking inside any of them.

END 2 FGM

Post subject: Re: 2011 No Smoking Laws
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Spanish news had a couple of interesting points. One bloke said he was fifty metres away from the door of the hospital as that was the distance he had been told applied.

The other point is that denuncias can be made anonymously.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:22 am 
Site Admin

The laws are being applied, strangely enough. There was a view that they would not be.

Patients can leave hospitals if they wish to accept responsibility for doing so and have to be 50m away from the door.

A bar in Puerto has had a denuncia against it as someone was smoking inside. The Policia Local pàss this on to the health authorities and they have to fine the smoker and the bar.

The offence for the smoker has a first time fine of 30 euro and a second time fine of between 601 and 100 000 euro, and for the bar the fine is between 601 and 100 000. Ouch!!

That´s according to la Provincia.

I have been told that if there is a play area any bar in the vicinity cannot allow smoking, even outside.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:34 pm 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

At a recent hospital visit I witnessed at least 3 patients standing outside in pyjamas/night dressess smoking ...... whilst attached to a drip !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Or some medical equipment attached to some drips?

Only Joking. It's obviously a very addictive pastime.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Establishments should have an official no smoking sign at the entrance to the property.

It is part of sanidad's role to carry out inspections.

My TV picture is breaking up. The wonders of technology.

According to La Opinion, a local paper, there will be only 40 inspectores and these will be making 2 000 inspections, though the department will be meeting with representatives of the policia local to discuss working together on the matter and expect to be working in conjunction with the inspectors of other departments who will alert them to possible infractions that they see in the course of carrying out their inspections.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

I just read an article in Canarias 7 in which some organization of bar an restaurant owners was claiming that several thousand jobs had been lost in the sector due to the ley antitobaco.

This is nonsense. Several thousand jobs may have been lost since the law was introduced, but they have been lost as an effect of the recession.

People have less money to spend, and in places such as Puerto Del Rosario the number of inhabitants has fallen.

The number of outside terraces has burgeoned in Puerto and I suppose the bars have to pay for the rental of this public space.

I looked for the article online, but didn't find it. There was one saying that 10% of cot deaths are caused by passive smoking......

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:28 pm 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

I remember when I first worked in an office virtually everyone smoked at their desk. When they started clamping down in other offices in the building their smokers to use our office as an unofficial smoking room. When they opened the door people on the outside could have been mistaken into thinking that there was a fire in the room. Those were the days. Guys also used to display girly pictures on the walls. We also had two tea ladies that resembled Mrs Overall (Acorn Antiques) and Mrs Doyle (Father Ted). I know I'm digressing from the topic by drifting into nostalgia :roll: .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Although I agree with the no smoking in all bars & eating places, It's made things worse in that you now have to walk through a cloud of smoke & disgustingly full ash trays to enter bars. :x Also, all outside terraces are now taken by smokers, so we now find ourselves having to sit INSIDE, when really we much prefer to be outside, thats why we moved here, to enjoy the outside dining / drinking. :)
Don't know what the answer is, well I do, but don't think smokers would be very happy !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:58 pm 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pipe smokers. Whatever happened to them?
Dead probably!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 am 
Site Admin

They must still be around as one of the Indian shops in Caleta has them in stock and the bloke told me they still sell a few.

Maybe people use them for blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air....

END 2 FGM