Fuerteventura Forum

Sunny Fuerteventura's Friendly Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:45 pm 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Here are some photos I took on Friday showing the progress on the two new stores.

IKEA:

This is on the Costa Antigua industrial estate near Nuevo Horizonte.

Mercadona:

This is on the Las Honduras Industrial Estate, on the north side of Puerto del Rosario - just off the Corralejo road.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:58 am 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Do you know how the new IKEA will work?
Will it be a bona fide shop or will it just be a distribution warehouse for the Lanzarote store?
At first glance it appers too small for a normal store. Also if there is any info./advertisement bumf on ordering/deliver charges/process that would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:12 pm 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

As far as I know (from a reliable source) it is only going to be a distribution point for stuff the Lanzarote store.

I´ve looked on the IKEA website and there´s no information about the new Fuerteventura warehouse.

It is possible, at the moment, to order stuff from Lanzarote and it is delivered to a warehouse in Puerto.

As soon as I know more I´ll let you know. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:44 pm 
20+ Posts
20+ Posts

The retail chain of furniture and home accessories IKEA has asked the Old City of license to open an area of 1,000 square meters. The company has also requested permission to locate a municipal parking area on a plot adjacent to an area of 2,600 square meters in the industrial zone Costa de Antigua, a few kilometers from the island capital.
IKEA customers currently takes Fuerteventura from its store located in Lanzarote. To facilitate the transfer of majoreros to the island hutch furniture company has signed an agreement with the shipping company Fred Olsen and if the purchase is for an amount over 300 euros return the amount of money from the boat trip.

According to the former mayor, Gustavo Berriel, IKEA would use this site “for tasks such as storage and main distribution of its products on the island. ” He also recalled that in that industrial area Mercadona company recently bought more than 5,600 square meters for future facilities “these business investments are important for the municipality. ”

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:09 am 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Just had an e mail from Ikea.
As you say the warehouse IS a distribution centre rather than a shop and according to the email is due to open tomorrow (19th). You order from Lanzarote as normal (min. spend is 50 euros) then delivery to say Caleta is a flat 25 euros charge regardless of quantity of goods. Delivery from Lanza. to the warehouse is approx. 3 clear working days. Then allow another couple of days from the warehouse to the delivery address.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:02 pm 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Thanks Villan.

I drove by tonight and it looked ready for opening - all the signs finished etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

I called in tonight. There is a a fair amount of stuff on display if you consider the size of the place.

The parking is easy to access and the staff seem efficient and friendly.

I even thought about buying some things, but have since had a lie down, so I'm OK again.

Royal decorations is next door with the Kookabura stuff and next to that is the Chinese that sells everything. I bought a tea strainer and a whisk, as apparently I need them. :D

END 2 FGM