Sunny Fuerteventura's Friendly Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:44 am 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

This was reported in yesterday´s www.islandconnections.eu :

¿Habla usted español?
In what is believed to be one of the first, but probably not the last, action of its kind, business people in the south of Gran Canaria were fined for not having a Spanish speaking member of staff.

Changes in the legislation in July of 2010 set out minimum requirements for restaurants: toilets, pantries, rubbish storage facilities etc. and slipped in among the necessary facilities was a short sentence – “have staff that speak Spanish”. A business in Maspalomas had a complaint filed against them in their complaints book and when the local inspectors checked out the establishment they found it was true, no-one spoke the local language, so a fine of €600 was levied. They got off lightly, it could have been a spot fine of up to €1,500 just for this problem although it would appear the inspectors found other problems and levied fines totaling €1,700.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:58 am 
Site Admin

That's interesting. I wonder what level of Spanish would be required and if they had to have a Spanish speaker on duty at all times?

It seems a bit harsh that a business that is aimed at people who are from English speaking countries would need to employ Spanish speaking staff.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:44 am 
250+ Posts
250+ Posts

I actually agree. When in rome and all that. :D
In america if you are English french etc and you open a business you have to employ the americans first.
Shame England isn't the same as the other places in the world. It doesn't matter if you cant speak the language here. We have a shop near where i live and the only English sign they have in the Window is NO ENGLISH in a polish shop in England. And a case down the south coast where a woman went into a polish shop and was asked to leave because she wasn't polish had tried to purchase a loaf and milk. When the english person asked why and obviously things got heated was arrested charged and fined for being racist. :roll: :x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:31 am 

Yes it seems in England that the people born and bred there are the ones in the wrong!

I do think that everyone living in another country should have to have lessons in that language until they are at an acceptable level.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:01 am 
Site Admin

I'm always a bit wary of stories about places that won't serve English people.

Maybe they do, but maybe they find it less hassle to have people who come in just to give them grief, as I am fairly sure that some "English" people would.

In Fuerteventura it is sometimes difficult to learn Spanish due to the large number of English speaking people in some areas, especially when your interests involve watching English football or other sports such as cricket or rugby.

There are a lot of holiday home owners here who would like to turn the place into Back-Home-on-Sea, and I guess that applies anywhere where there are large numbers of immigrants living in one place.

The locals here are welcoming enough and are happy to talk to people who are making the effort, so there is no reason not to do so unless you are a Little Englander*.

* Can be replaced with the country of your choice.

END 2 FGM