Fuerteventura Forum

Sunny Fuerteventura's Friendly Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canarynet hotspot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:25 pm 
75+ Posts
75+ Posts

Any experience of using Canarynet for broadband instead of telefonica? Is the signal good inside houses without your own station being installed?

Post subject: Re: Canarynet hotspot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 pm 
20+ Posts
20+ Posts

Yes - I always use canarynet when I am in Caleta Paraiso and have never had any problem using it inside.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:20 am 
75+ Posts
75+ Posts

Thanks Ellis for the input. The houses on Tam are pretty well built, have had experiences of some telephone sim cards not getting a good signal (especially Vodaphone) so was looking for some one specifically on Tam who had used the service.

I know Orange works well so I could get an Orange dongle for an internet connection but Canarynet sounds a good option. However from experience its always better to listen to users of a service in the real world before commiting to using it. Your comment sways me to lean towards trying Canarynet.

Last edited by beachlife on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:14 pm 
20+ Posts
20+ Posts

It was Colin we dealt with - cant think of his surname - he seems a decent chap and I know he will come and check out whether reception is good or not where you are. If you ask at The Kings Arms they will put you in touch with colin or kevin. Good luck!

Post subject: Three years on ...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:13 pm 
75+ Posts
75+ Posts

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but an update would be really helpful.

All being well, we'll be the proud owners of a Tamaragua bungalow next week and we'll be moving out in May. I work as a translator, so the internet is absolutely essential not only for receiving and delivering texts but also for terminology research etc. I know absolutely nothing about bandwidths, dongles, KBs etc - all I know is that I need things to happen reasonably fast or else (a) I get stressed :evil: and (b) I earn less! :cry:

Should I go for CanaryNet, Orange, Vodaphone, Telefonica or something else? We'll also need to get electricity and phone connected and something for TV reception, so perhaps there are packages that would be interesting. We're coming over for a week at the end of March to try to get it all sorted out so I'm ready to start work asap on arrival. Any help appreciated - TIA.

Sheila

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:07 am 
Site Admin

If you need the internet for work and are going to work from home then you might as well have a land line fitted, but the various moble companies do have various packages that are getting faster and offer more for less, but probably not as much for as little as you would expect.

As a new customer you will be able to get a good deal with Telefonica.

The local digital tv has the option of putting some programs back to the original language and that would be the easiest and cheapest option if it provides enough of what you want/need.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:44 pm 
75+ Posts
75+ Posts

Thanks for the info, Deepdale Duck.

Who are the people to go to for a landline? Would that be Telefonica? And do you have a company name for the local digital TV, please? I'm not very bothered about TV, although my husband watches a bit here, but I don't think I want to do without one entirely. I don't know anything about Spanish TV, but here in France it's mostly rubbish peppered with some very interesting programmes. It'll be good to try to follow the news etc in Spanish, if nothing else.

Sheila

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Telefonica do the landlines. I think in theory other compamies can supply services on the back of the landlines but I get the feeling that Telefonica have to maintain it and if someone else is using it and it needs repairing the paperwork goes missing. That might just be me misunderstanding what happens, though. I think I can safely say Telefonica don't have much chance of winning world's best customer service award.

The Spanish TV is digital. The TV's have iot built in these days so you just buy an aerial and point it in the same direction as everyone elses, though it might be supplied by the community. If it is then just plug the aerial into the wall.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
75+ Posts
75+ Posts

Sheila you have a pm!!!! Let me know if you don`t receive it.

Post subject: - respect
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:02 am 

my respect to you ))

Post subject: Sorry, what
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:13 pm 

this is bump!