Fuerteventura Forum

Sunny Fuerteventura's Friendly Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: More than gullible.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Does anyone else think it is strange that there are people in the world who are easily taken advantage of, but who won't listen to people who have their best interests at heart when they are telling them that they need to be at least a little wary?

END 2 FGM

Post subject: Re: More than gullible.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:01 pm 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

There´s a long history of it :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:27 pm 
20+ Posts
20+ Posts

does anyone else think its strange that there are people in the world who just wont listen when they are told their opinion is neither wanted or valued an yet they keep insisting on goin on,and on and on and on zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

There is Filbert, there is.

Apparently there is a market for the names of people who have been taken in by various scams, so it seems that once bitten, twice shy is not a maxim that everyone applies.

The story that made me think was about a bloke in the Preston area, who for obvious reasons wants to remain anonymous, gave about fifty grand to someone he met through a dating site.

The person doing the taking was from a different continent and took the fifty grand a bit at a time.

The person doing the giving was warned by friends and family that it sounded a bit dodgy.

Franko, if someone is asked directly for their opinion then I am fairly sure it is wanted, and I can't see why anyone would ask for it if they didn't value it. Those that go out of their way to read a person's opinions must surely be at least interested in it.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Admin

There was an article in the Daily Mail about a woman who had been conned out of ten thousand pounds by someone using a dating site.

When I searched to find the story it threw up loads more.

It might be a good idea to make watching the The Sting part of the national curriculum, as all cons work in the same way.

They tell you what you want to hear, make it look like they are doing you a favour, ask for a bit of money, or for you to do something a bit dodgy, then you are in the trap, and it is hard to back out because to quote the Daily Mail.

Many victims feel too embarrassed and ashamed to confess they’ve been duped.

Hence the problem continues and continues to be profitable for the con merchants. It says that Africa based fraudsters make 80 million a year by taking advantage of people who use dating sites.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1361176/Would-YOU-fall-war-hero-dating-website-Elana-did-iit-cost-10-000.html#ixzz1FKh0suIj

Surprisingly the DM did not blame Labour for this proble, :shock:

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:24 am 
250+ Posts
250+ Posts

Dodgy or not dodgy,that is the question. If people say there are very happy, they must be, if others say nothing, mmm....I guess nothing can be assumed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

It's actually a good question to ask on Fuerteventura.

In the time I have had a place here there has been boom and bust. There was a time when the whole island seemed to be working in the construction industry, either in professions involved in building or in the selling property.

Not everyone was as qualified as they claimed, but there were plenty of guiris to take advantage of for those that were that way inclined.

Lots of them went away when the bust came, and others had to find other ways of generating income.

Someone told me the other day that anarchism ruled on Fuerteventura, and it's hard to disagree sometimes.

I had this in my inbox

Hello,

With Due Respect And Humanity, I was compelled to write to you under humanitarian grounds. My name is Mrs. Ashley
MacArthur. I was born in Sheffield, England, I am married to Mr. Douglas MacArthur director ESPM Steel Ltd., United
Kingdom.

We were married for 36 years without a child. He died four years ago after a Cardiothoracic Surgery. Recently, My
Doctor told me that I would not live for the next five months due to my cancer problem (cancer of the uterus). Before
my husband died, he deposited with a Bank in Scotland the sum of Ј14,000,258.00 (Fourteen Million Two Hundred and
Fifty Eight Great British Pounds) .

Presently this money is still in the Bank's custody. Having known my condition I have decided to donate this fund to any
God fearing brother or sister that will utilize this fund the way I would instruct herein. I want somebody that will use this
fund according to the desires of my late husband to help the Less privileged, orphans, widows and propagating the word
of God. I also want part of this fund to be donated to any humanitarian Organization presently in Haiti.

I took this decision because I would be going in for Surgery later today. I don't have any child that will inherit this fund,
And I don't want this money to be used in an un-Godly way. This is why I am taking this decision to hand over to you this
Fund. I am not afraid of death, because I know where I am going. I want you to always remember me in your daily prayers
because of my up coming Surgery later today.

You are to work with my attorney who will assist you to see these funds transferred to your account and how the said
funds is to be used for the good work of the Lord Almighty. I have already made provision for the legal charges involved
with my lawyer.

Contact my lawyer with this info:

Backley & Atkins Firm.
Fax: +44-700-593-1187
Email: barr.johnatkins@mac.hush.com

If you find this mail appealing, kindly contact my attorney by quoting this reference number to him
JA/TTL/801/3135/AM10/88se/UK . I write this mail to you solemnly with the faith that you will assist me in my last wishes.
As soon as you contact him with the reference number above, he should be able to identify you, God bless.

With Regards,

Ashley MacArthur

Do you think I should invest, I'm sure there would be a few quid in it for me. :)

I wonder what mac.hush do? Sounds like a society for Scottish secret agents.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:50 am 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

"A few quid in it for yourself" Mr Duck?
You have been chosen to do gods work with the money.
I presume that means things like missionary work in Scotland :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

The missionary position in Scotland does not appeal to me. :mrgreen:

There were lots of Scots enjoying the achipencos.

Attachment:
P1320176.JPG
P1320176.JPG [ 161.67 KiB | Viewed 9220 times ]

Attachment:
P1320129.JPG
P1320129.JPG [ 151.36 KiB | Viewed 9220 times ]

It was a shame about the wind because many of the rafts didn't even make it away from the launch area.

The weather took a turn for the worse just as the event started, so every credit to those that got anywhere at all and those that attempted to entertain the crowds.

Some of them had a visible air of disappointment at not being able to complete the course, but with the force six winds in their faces, it was nigh on impossible to get anything that wasn't streamlined and well powered to move forward.

Attachments:
P1320186.JPG
P1320186.JPG [ 150.96 KiB | Viewed 9220 times ]

END 2 FGM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Can anyone believe that anyone could believe that they could lose their property as a result of one of the services being cut off?

The water companies can cut the supply to a property, but I can't see them having the right to take posession of a property.

The idea that they could take possesion of an entire complex if the water were to be cut off is just absurd.

How could anyone believe that they could, and how could anyone allow them to continue to believe this, even if they were receiving plaudits for preventing the hypothetical reposessions?

END 2 FGM