Fuerteventura Forum

Sunny Fuerteventura's Friendly Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Are you diabetic, Fatso?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Diabetes can be pretty horrible and it is something I know a fair bit about because it was something that my mum suffered from for the latter half of her life, and it led to her early death.

Diabetes UK have commissioned a poll and are concerned about the widespread ignorance about the condition. The Daily Mail picked up the survey and wrote an article about it.

In the comments section there are comments by people who have always been slim and exercised sufficiently and one by a person who says that because their relative was well overweight and never suffered from it then being fat doesn´t cause diabetes.

What this person does not appreciate is what is meant by a risk factor. Not all fatties will suffer from diabetes, and not all people who have always maintained a healthy weight and exercised will be immune to suffering.

Another person who works with diabetics says that some people regard being diagnosed with diabetes as winning some sort of prize, due to them getting free prescriptions and footcare. It is close to unbelievable that anyone with the most limited appreciation of the downside of the condition would be in the least bit pleased about such a diagnosis. You have to conclude that not everybody is even close to having an average intelligence.

I watch a program on Spanish TV1 now and again. It is on in the mornings and usually has a section about some health issue or other. Recently this slot was about diabetes and was quite enlightening.

I never really understood why diabetics have problems with so many health issues. I was aware that it can lead to blindness, kidney failure, which is what got my mum, and problems with the feet. On top of that suffers have an increased risk of heart problems, stroke and damage to the peripheral nerves.

The doctors on the program I watched had access to new technology for continuous monitoring of sugar levels and the guest doctor became aware that she was pre diabetic. She did not seem to concerned about this and the reason for her laid back attitude was that she is aware that diabetes in itself is not a health risk if it is managed properly. What is a problem is uncontrolled diabetes.

The machine produced a graph of the patients sugar level versus time on which there was an upper and lower boundry. A non-diabetic's blood sugar levels ramains within these limits as the pancreas produces insulin when it is needed. A person with uncontrolled diabetes will have blood sugar levels which pass outside these limits at various times during the day.

When the blood sugar level is high it results in damage to the cells that line the blood vessels, and from what I have read this damage is irreversible. Not only that but damaged tissue does not repair anywhere near as efficiently as it needs to and this can lead to worse problems such as gangrene.

The damage to the blood vessels is general and that is why a person with uncontrolled diabetes can suffer damage to so many different organs. Whenever blood vessels are damaged the organ in which they are found is damaged.

Some people have undiagnosed and therefore uncontrolled diabetes and the first that they know about it is when they find themselves having to have a leg amputated.

There are risk factors, such as genetics, that you can´t do anything about. Others such as obesity can be dealt with. There is experimental evidence that people who have type two diabetes can remove the condition by going on a diet that is very low in calories. The hypothesis is that with a very low intake of calories the body consumes fat, not only that that is visible such as spare tyres, love handles and double chins, but also that that has built up around the internal organs. This sort of unclogs the pancreas and it starts to function properly.

The nerve damage that diabetes produces can be extremely painful or the damage can mean a loss of sensitivity, which is why diabetics are advised to inspect their feet closely. They sometimes have injuries that they cannot see or feel. The doctor referred to a case where a woman burnt herself at a barbeque. She could not feel the burning and only became aware of it when she began to smell burning that turned out to be her hand.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

I should have put the common symptoms up.

passing urine more often than usual, especially at night
increased thirst
extreme tiredness
unexplained weight loss
genital itching or regular episodes of thrush
slow healing of cuts and wounds
blurred vision

They are taken from http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/What-is-diabetes/Diabetes-Symptoms/

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:22 pm 
75+ Posts
75+ Posts

I hear that doctors are now saying that just a little exercise (e.g. a stroll round the block) directly after a meal can be highly beneficial. You don't have to go to the gym twice a week and exhaust yourself, as they used to think. Just a stroll after a heavy meal is just as good - something to do with breaking up the 'bad' fats before they get nicely settled. I certainly prefer that idea to more violent exercise, but I do have a problem with it as my Mum always told me not to do anything straight after eating; she said I'd get cramps and that could be dangerous (e.g. swimming) and certainly not good for me.

So, for the last 57 years, I've sat quietly to let my meal digest (at least, that's my excuse for just leaving the washing-up until later ;)), and that's a hard habit to break.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 am 
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Yes Sheila, and i must cease scratching myself. :oops:

Good informative post Deepdale.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:00 am 
Site Admin

It is a better since I corrected a couple of spelling mistakes and rewrote a couple of sentences that were a bit gobbledy.

END 2 FGM