Fuerteventura Forum

Sunny Fuerteventura's Friendly Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: changing banks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:26 am 
250+ Posts
250+ Posts

Hi, I wonder if some one can give me some advice? We bank with sol bank and there charges are so high, just silly things like activating the cash cards and charging to hold a bank account with them :roll: We were thinking of changing to santander, 1 reason is that we live in UK and we are hoping eventually they will link with the banks in spain and uk so we can do our banking from here and fuert (like HSBC).... We pay water electric comm charge by DD. Will santander contact all these people and take over the direct debit payments like they do in the uk when you change banks? We are over next wed 9th :D and were hoping to be able to change it all over while we are there for the week!!!! And am hoping the weather improves some what as the uk web sites are saying 18c :cry: Thanks for your help

Post subject: Re: changing banks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

There are some changes going on here that might affect whether it is a good idea to change banks just at the moment, but these changes seem to affect the Caja's more than the big banks like Santander.

There are branch closures planned in Caleta as a result of these change( or maybe they just feel like closing them?)

I will call in and ask what the procedures are and about charges.

I was with the Halifax for a while when they had a branch in Fuerteventura, and it did make money transfer a little easier, but not enough so that I'd recommend that as a reason to open an account here and there with two banks that have the same name because at the end of the day they are different banks with different rules and regs.

END 2 FGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:15 am 
250+ Posts
250+ Posts

Thank you for your help :D We leave on wednesday, we will have a look into it and see what we think is best to do. If santander in caleta moves branches etc it will just make life even harder when we come over !!! But if sol bank move out of Atlantico then it really doesn't make a lot of difference in the long term.
The electric people have ripped us off too, taking 13 Euro's (standing charge) then 49.50€ out the account and we only had 2 friends over in january for a week. Really doesn't warrant 62.50€ for 1 month ??? Things are so much harder owning abroad to get things sorted out!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

It can be difficult owning here and sorting out problems with the suppliers that you have.

There are always people who are/have been cut off who say they are in front with payments.

It's one of the advantages of having a communal electricity supply. Not sure it outweighs the disadvantages.

I don't have standing payments for my communidad as I think it would be daft to allow someone access to my bank account unless I could trust them 110 %, or maybe a bit more.

I haven't had chance to call into Santander while it has been open, but it is running a recruitment drive, and the website with the details is

http://www.queremossertubanco.com/

Might be worth a look.

Hope the weather picks up for you, though it's not been too bad today.

END 2 FGM